How To Save Money On SSL Certificates?
How To Save Money On SSL Certificates?
Google stresses on it. Your customers are looking for it. Your data security is dependent on it.Encryption. The Internet desperately needs it. Individuals, businesses and everyone else who uses the Internet need to encrypt the information that they send and receive across the Internet. The obvious way to encrypt information of website,blog or email that is transferred between web server and web browser is with the help of a SSL certificate.
Buying a SSL certificate needs money. If you are running a business, especially an eCommerce business, every single dollar counts. So, it is good to know some ways you can save costs while buying a SSL certificate.
- Know website needs
Every website is unique and has its own level of security requirement. So, the first point in keeping your SSL certificate buying cost to the bare minimum is by identifying the exact type of SSL certificate that your website needs.
SSL certificates can be classified into several types based on the number of domains that they validate and the extent of security validation that they provide.
Based on the number of domains that they validate, SSL certificates can be classified into:
- Single Domain SSL – SSL certificates that encrypt just one website domain at a time.
- Multi Domain SSL or Unified Communications Certificate (UCC) – SSL certificates that are used to secure multiple domain names and multiple host names within a domain name. They are also known as SAN (Subject Alternative Name) SSL certificates. Any website owner would be planning to branch out the website into multiple domains which will be used for specific purposes then multi domain SSL, for example, Comodo PositiveSSL Mutli Domain is the best choice for it. Multi Domain SSL certificate will help to save tons of money instead of investing money in each individual certificate for each domain.
- Wildcard SSL – SSL certificates that can be used to encrypt a single domain and its unlimited sub-domains using a single certificate. Wildcard SSL certificate is also very beneficial to save money when have requirement for main domain + its sub domains security.
Types of SSL certificates based on Validation
- Domain Validation – The most basic type of SSL certificate that only verifies the ownership of the odmain through email before issuance the certificate.
- Organization Validation – Validates the organizational ownership of the website.
- Extended Validation – Most secure form of SSL certificate that are issued after rigorous background checks of the organization.
As you can see from the above, you have to make a choice of a SSL certificate based on two factors. The number of domains, subdomains you want to secure and the level of validation you need.
Buy it for the long-term
SSL certificates are usually taken for a period one year or more. There is nothing wrong in taking a SSL certificate for a single year. But, if you rethink, web security is not an expense you can discontinue after a year or so. It is something you have to renew and keep investing in on a regular basis. So it makes sense to buy SSL certificates for the long-term, like for more than 2 years. Not only will your website stay updated and secured for a long period of time, you can get better prices too.
Buy from resellers
Resellers are basically intermediaries who sell SSL certificates of several brands/certificate authorities on a single website. They have tie ups with multiple certificate authorities for making thier website a single hub from where people can shop for any kind of SSL certificate.
You have a fat chance of getting SSL certificates at a discounted price from a reseller website than from the CA’s original website. Also, there is no worry of any mishap, since those certificates come with all benefits that any original SSL certificate offers because at the end those certificates will be issued by certificate authorities themselves thus you can buy it with full confidence via SSL reseller like ClickSSL.
Check for refunds/cashback
Like most tangible products that come with a refund/replacement program, check for SSL certificates too that wether it comes with a refund or cashback policy or not. The motive of the program is to ensure that customers are able to get refunds, if customers are not satified with SSL product.
Hence, it ranks as one among the serious factors that one must look for while buying a SSL certificate. Remember, the refund or cashback offer might be valid only for a specific period of time, beyond which is may not apply. In most cases, the cashback is restricted to a 30-day span.
Compare market prices
This is an absolute no-brainer! Still, it is surprising how many people end up making mistakes of buying an expensive SSL certificate when a cheap alternative is available. Always make sure you comb through the Internet and the many reseller websites to see how the market prices fare against each other. Each Certificate Authority and SSL provider might provide a slightly different price fine tuned to their target customers. There could be differences in service quality, term of the certificate, support and much more. All of these features would come to light only if you invest your time to compare market prices and features of SSL certificates.
Ready. Set. Save Money
Securing website/webpage with a SSL certificate is not a big headche if you will consider some things. You should always look for ways to save costs and get the most out of less. Above listed ways are straightforward that help to save money when shopping for SSL certificates.
Remember, buying long-term is a surefire way to save costs. If you are buying the certificate for multiple domains, sub domains, then the savings will increase manifold. Don’t forget to do cross price comparison on different platform to spot the best offer. Before making the payment, double check to ensure that refunds and cashbacks are available, in case something goes wrong.